We are linked to each other by stories. Our own sacred narratives, together with the great Biblical stories, are woven into the fabric of our faith. At First Presbyterian Church of Springfield, we believe in the big umbrella of grace and we welcome all who wish to join us.
— Rev. Dr. Clifford J. Hayes
- in the Sanctuary -
- in the Chapel -
Summer Chapel 2013
(resumes in June)
- in the Chapel -
More about worship ...
(ring bell at portico-covered door)
Monday — Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed Monday, May 27, for Memorial Day!
(ring bell at so. west ramped door)
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
9:00 a.m. to noon
More about Samaritan Ministries ...
News and Events
Happy Birthday to the Christian Church
Pentecost Sunday: Wear Red!
— also Commencement Sunday
Sunday, May 19 | 10:30 a.m.
—in the Sanctuary
On this day of Pentecost — we celebrate the birth of the Church. A number of First Presbyterian Church members and friends will offer a multilingual recitation of the Pentecost account in Acts. The proclamation of scripture in "many tongues" reminds us of the appearance of the Holy Spirit, who calls forth the people to grow into fellowship as believers. The excitement, described as "wildfire," indicates a church unrestrained. No walls, no property, can hold in the Spirit. We invite everyone to wear red in celebration of God's outpouring of grace upon the church. Diane Dietz, soprano, will sing a solo. This is the last Sunday of this season for the Sanctuary Choir, and they will sing The Lord's My Shepherd (Alexander Reinagle and Drummond Wolff) for the anthem.
Read Acts, Chapter 2, in preparation for worship . . .
Oh, the places you will go. — Also in this Sunday's worship service — we will recognize this year's graduates from a variety of educational adventures — those graduating from 8th grade, high school, college, technical school, or receiving a GED this year.
A reception will follow the worship service.
Pentecost Offering — When the church is vital, it continues to celebrate the diversity of tongues and gifts. Within this mission we receive a Pentecost Offering on this Sunday. Our congregation will keep 40% for programs that benefit children at risk. The General Assembly divides the remaining 60% between ministries with youth and young adults (50%) and children-at-risk ministries (10%). How might we respond on Pentecost - the birthday of the Christian church? P.S. Remember that you can make a donation online: see the blue button at the bottom of this page.
Church Softball Team
Next Game: Thursday, May 23 | 9:15 p.m.
- at Calvary Temple, 1730 W Jefferson St.
We are in full swing! :-) Last week was our first win of the season! Anyone 18 and older is welcome to play, and 15-17 year-olds may play with parental consent. Interested? Please contact Chris Wheal (217.528.4311, ext 204) in the church office to add your name(s) to the contact list.
(Next Practice: Tuesday, May 21 | 6:30 p.m. | @ Lincoln Park)
Summer is almost here!
Annual Church Partnership Picnic
Sunday, June 9 |immediately after church
—Meet at Jim Edgar State Park
Canoes, fishing, food and fun — this picnic is one of our annual worship, fun and fellowship partnership events with our sister church, New Mission Church of God. This is also an opportunity to enjoy the sights outside of the city.
Volunteers are preparing delicious barbecue, and there will also be hot dogs. Please bring a covered side dish, salad or dessert to share. Beverages will be provided.
We could use your help. Four people are needed at the church by 9:00 a.m. to transport food and beverage items and set up the tables at the park. Two or three people are needed to clean up following the meal and transport items back to the church. Please call the Admin Assistant in the church office (217.528.4311, ext 204) to sign up for one of these tasks. A map to the reserved park shelter is on the church narthex (front entry) table. As always, your efforts are very much appreciated.
Adopt a Shut-in
We invite you to adopt a shut-in to visit and get to know — telephoning, chatting or stopping by for a visit. Please contact Jennifer Erbes for more information about this year-round program. Think of all of the joy you will bring to your life and the life of a homebound member!